Planning Your Lighting
At Kentucky Lighting & Supply, we encourage you to plan early to make the lighting portion of your new project a success. Our lighting consultants are available by appointment to guide you through the process. Following are a series of steps and questions to consider to help you achieve the perfect lighting solutions for your project.
Step I: Meet with consultant. Bring relevant information to the first meeting
- Architectural drawings and plans
- Kitchen plan and furniture layout
- Finishes and surface types
- Artwork or precious objects to be illuminated
- Lighting likes and dislikes
- Special needs, visual concerns and impairments
Step II: Discuss job parameters
- Scope of project and discussion of project’s needs
- Review of services provided by consultant
- Lighting budget and project time frame
- Identify all team members — architect, interior designer, builder, electrical contractor to allow for coordination and integration of all team members
Step III: Design consultation
- Review light sources and fixture types
- Review design options and develop conceptual design
- Get recommendations for product types and placement
- Fixture selection
- Budget quote
Frequently asked questions to consider when planning your lighting project
Schedule a consultation with one of KLS’s Showroom Specialists for the answers to these questions and more …
- What is the difference between various types of recessed lights? Why do the prices vary so much and why should I spend more on one type than another?
- When and why should I use low-voltage or line-voltage lighting?
- What are the advantages of using the different types of lighting, such as cable, rail, track, recessed, indirect and cove?
- Why is the lighting so important in kitchens and bathrooms?
- How can I avoid glare when I design my lighting?
- How do I light my artwork effectively?
- How much should a lighting project cost me?
- What kind of scenes and moods do I want lighting to create in the important rooms in my home?
- How can I save energy when I design lighting in my home?
- What is the best light to read by?
- How do I light my home office and computer station?
- How can outdoor and landscape lighting enhance my project?
Kentucky Lighting & Supply